How to Clean an Ax or Hatchet
To clean the ax head:
- To clean your axe or hatchet first make sure that the head is thoroughly dry. Use a cloth or paper towel to remove excess water or moisture from the axe blade.
- If there is stubborn dirt or wood sap on the head, scrape it off with a wire brush. Large pieces can also be scraped off gently with a knife.
- If necessary, remove any remaining grime on the axe head with a solvent like vinegar, or paint thinner.
- If you spot rust, scratch it off using sandpaper or steel wool and clean any particles with a oiled cloth or paper towel.
Once the axe head is clean - you're ready to sharpen it.
For the handle:
- Clean any dirt and debris with a cloth.
- For wooden handles, low grit sandpaper can be used to smooth and remove debris. Once clean, rub a small amount of boiled linseed oil to help preserve the wood.