Pine Car Derby Rules
Below are the official rules for the Trail Life Simi Valley (CA2324) Pine Car Derby.
Car Dimension Rules
- The overall length of the car shall not exceed 7 inches.
- The overall width of the car shall not exceed 2 ¾ inches.
- The car must have 1 ¾” clearance between the wheels.
- The car must have 3/8” clearance underneath the body so it does not rub on the track.
Derby Car Weight Rules
- The car shall not exceed 5.0 ounces.
- The official race scale that is used at car check-in shall be considered final.
- The official pine wood block must be used (these are provided by the troop). The block may be shaped, painted and added to in any way that is desired and within weight, length and other tolerances, but no part of the car may extend past the starting gate.
- The wheels supplied with the kit must be used. The wheels may be cut, drilled, beveled or rounded. You may remove the seams and imperfections from the wheels.
- The axles supplied with the kit must be used. They may be polished or lubricated with graphite powder, no wet lubricants
- Wheel bearings, washers or bushings are prohibited.
- The car must not ride on any type of springs.
- The car must be freewheeling, with no starting devices.
- All cars must have the Trailman's name on the bottom of the car.
- The car must be made of materials distributed by the troop this year, last years cars (or previous years) are not allowed to race this year.
Other Pinewood Derby Race Rules
- Each car must pass inspection by the official inspection committee before it will be allowed to compete. The Inspection Committee has the responsibility to disqualify those cars that do not meet these specifications. Once the car is impounded, only Pinewood Derby race officials may handle the cars.
- If the car loses a wheel, or is otherwise damaged, the racer shall have 5 minutes to make repairs.